- Allergen Free Formula
- Free From Starch
- Free From Yeast
- Free From Corn
- Free From Soy
- Free From Sodium
- Free From Sugar
- Free From Artificial Colouring Or Flavouring
- Free From Dairy Or Animal Products
Short-term relief of occasional constipation
• Stimulant laxative
• Promotes bowel movement by direct action on the large intestine
• Includes a blend of Senna, Chinese Rhubarb, Anise, Fenugreek and Cascara Sagrada
Improved formula• Now offered in a convenient vegetable capsule format
Herbolax is an herbal combination that provides short-term relief of occasional constipation. It includes the stimulant laxative senna, which promotes bowel movement by direct action on the large intestine. Senna's bioactive compounds, members of the anthraquinone family, work by regulating water reabsorption from the colon and colonic motility.1 Preclinical research suggests they decrease water reabsorption in the colon and promote electrolyte secretion into the colon to raise the fecal water content.1 By stimulating the myenteric plexus, an important nerve centre that coordinates peristalsis in the gastrointestinal tract, these compounds also increase intestinal motility.2 Collectively, these actions help produce soft stools and reduce transit time to ease bowel movements.2 In addition to providing senna, Herbolax offers other anthraquinone-containing herbs, including rhubarb and cascara, along with a blend of anise and fenugreek. Anise contains the bioactive compound anethole, while fenugreek seeds are known for their high content of mucilaginous fibre.3
1. Sandler, RB, Person, B, Raju, R. (2006) Medical Treatment of Constipation. In: Wexner, SD, Duthie, GS. (eds), Constipation. Springer, London.
2. Portalatin, M, Winstead, N. Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2012; 25(1): 12-19.
3. Barnes, J, Anderson, LA, Phillipson, JD. (2007). Herbal Medicines (3rd ed.). London, UK: Pharmaceutical Press.
|EACH CAPSULE CONTAINS:|
|Senna (Senna alexandrina) Leaf||280 mg|
|Chinese Rhubarb (Rheum palmatum) Root||65 mg|
|Anise (Pimpinella anisum) Seed||55 mg|
|Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) Seed||55 mg|
|Cascara Sagrada (Frangula purshiana) Bark||22.5 mg|
Cellulose, hypromellose, silica, hyprolose, magnesium stearate
Take 4 capsules daily at bedtime, a few hours before or after taking other medications or natural health products, or as your healthcare practitioner recommends. Allow at least 6 to 12 hours for the laxative effect to occur. Take 2 to 3 times per week. If results are not observed, the frequency of use may be increased up to once daily. Consult your healthcare practitioner for use beyond 7 days.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.