- CoQ10 has a beneficial role in the treatment of various chronic disorders (CHF, Parkinson‚„s, migraine) that are highlighted by an impairment in mitochondrial bioenergetics and/or increased oxidative stress11
- R-alpha-lipoic acid may have better bioavailability than the racemic mixture in an older population group12
- In vivo studies have noted that combinations of ALC and R-alpha-lipoic acid act synergistically in preventing mitochondrial decay13
- Standardized Ginkgo biloba extract promotes cognitive functioning, neuropsychiatric symptoms and functional abilities in those with Vascular and Alzheimer‚„s dementia14
- Resveratrol, the potent antioxidant found Japanese Knotweed, improves muscle mitochondrial respiration in obese humans15
- Grape seed proanthocyanidins administration stimulates mitochondrial function in the skeletal muscle of obese Zucker rats16
- Suitable for vegetarians/vegans
Oxidative damage to the mitochondria is a major factor in cellular aging along with neurological decay.1 While lifestyle interventions, such as calorie restriction, help improve mitochondrial function in young non-obese adults, certain supplements such as L-carnitine are also of therapeutic benefit.2 However, the salt of L-carnitine, called acetyl‚˜L‚˜carnitine (ALC), is the preferred form for conditions of disease and aging as it has better absorption and readily crosses the blood brain barrier.3 ALC has been shown to exert a significant function in the disorders of aging including fatigue hypertension, insulin resistance, diabetic neuropathy and dementia.4,5,6,7 ALC may work synergistically in combination with alpha-lipoic acid not only to reduce hypertension but reduce the pain associated with a herniated disc.8 Recently discovered agents such as Pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ) play a key in mitochondrial genesis via cell signalling (PGC-1 alpha).9 This latter ability to stimulate mitochondrial production ability may in part explain the conclusion of a recent open clinical trial. After taking 20 mg of PQQ daily for eight weeks, 20 healthy and women (average age 38 years) not only had improved vigor but also had a significant reduction in symptoms of fatigue, tension, depression, anger and confusion.10 While both PQQ and ALC are key components in Mito AMP, other natural compounds in the formula enhance its efficacy.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.