Natural relief for sinus infections
Were back into the season of green grass once again, except not all of us are happy about it. If youre one of the many people who suffer from sinus infections, then the sight of grass is your worst nightmare. Congestion, pressure pain and headaches are just some of the sinus related symptoms that people suffer from when they have sinus infection or inflammation. For a number of sinus sufferers there appears to be no end in sight, as the pain impairs their ability to engage in daily activities.
How is it affecting you?
Fortunately, there are ways to carry on with your normal life without those decongestants from drugstores. Unfortunately, there is no quick fix. You have to look at all facets of your life and be prepared to make some lifestyle changes.
Think about how your overall health
Think about how your overall health is, and ask yourself if you suffer from:
- Underlying food allergies
- Weakened Immune system
- Lack of Sleep
- Excess physical and mental Stress
- Poor Digestive system and diet
- Toxic overload on the body
The treatment of sinus infections
The treatment of sinus infections is two-fold:
- Systemic support and building
- Immediate infection control
General support of the system
Consider proteolytic enzymes (like Wobenzyme), to act as anti-inflammatories and also to improve drainage of toxins out of the system. And, immune builders such as astragalus and mushroom extracts can also help to decrease the frequency of the infections.
Some remedies for infection control
- Oil of Oregano acts as a wonderful anti-biotic and anti-viral
- Echinacea and Goldenseal act as decongestants and aid in fighting off the pathogens
- Garlic with high allicin content can also be used to fight off infections
supplementing your diet with nutrients
For further sinus relief consider supplementing your diet with nutrients
- Quercetin, grape seed extract, Vitamin C and bioflavanoids all help to stabilize mast cells and decrease the histamine response which can increase sinus pressure.
- Homeopathic remedies which come either in singles or combinations include: Apis for swelling and puffiness, Kali Bichromicum for thick congestion, and Arsenicum for burning pains.
- Boiron Sinusalia or Dr. Reckeweg R49 can be used for general symptoms, while Heels Euphorbium spray works well for direct sinus relief.
congestion as a result of the sinus problem
If theres lots of congestion as a result of the sinus problem
Always add in some lymphatic support such as Lyphosot or Lymphdiaral cream, both in a homeopathic format, or Cleavers in an herbal preparation. Lymphatic drainage will prevent sinus and ear pressure buildup and facilitate toxin elimination to prevent further complications.
For babies, a homeopathic nasal spray by Dr. Reckeweg called Pulsatilla Compositum provides quick and gentle relief of most sinus congestion symptoms.
Lifestyle changes and treatment go hand-in-hand
Remember the more lifestyle changes you make, the better your health will be. For a more customized solution, consult your Naturopathic or Homeopathic Doctor.
Baljinder Chhoker, Naturopathic Consultant for Nature's Source.