This winter with the freezing temperatures, low humidity, and the inside furnace blasting dry air, you may have found your skin has become very dry, flaky, and/or itchy. Everyone needs to protect their skin. It is our largest and most porous organ and paying attention to what we soak it in or smear on our bodies is very important. Why? There is evidence of the skins ability to spread what it touches throughout our entire body and bloodstream. In an attempt to clear up dry skin, we are slathering our bodies with the latest anti-aging moisturizer creams that sometimes contain harmful toxins and further aggravating pre-existing skin conditions. They may help improve the look and feel of your skin, however, in order to improve our complexion, we will need to decrease the free radicals from occurring. Many skin care products on the market contain parabens and because the layers of the skin act like a strainer it can penetrate into the body.
A few guidelines when considering what daily health and beauty products to purchase:
- Avoid parabens and phthalates in all products. As for perfumes/colognes, gear towards essential oils that contain no alcohol.
- Be aware of toners that contain alcohol. Alcohol-based toners disturb the pH level of your skin leaving it drier than it was in the first place!
- Use products that contain hyaluronic acid which provides structural support to the skin while retaining its moisture.
- Supplement with fish oils , start with 2-3 grams per day to add moisture to your skin, feeling smoother and younger. It has been shown to help with conditions such as dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema.
- Check for food allergens that may be causing your dry or irritated skin.
Dr. Ohhira formulated 2 natural skincare products, Magoroku Skin Lotion and Kampuku Beauty Bar that are carried at Natures Source. They are both blended with aged fermented probiotics extract that naturally balance, clarify and rejuvenate the skin. This is the perfect product for very dry and sensitive skin. Japanese magoroku (equine oil) is more similar to human sebum than many products on the market today, giving it a high degree of absorbance. It contains alpha-linolenic and linoleic acids that cannot be produced in the body. It has a light texture that leaves no residue, versatile for daily use on body, hands and feet. The Kampuku beauty bar provides natural deodorant benefits and leaves the skin clean and moisturized. A vegetable-based product, Kampuku is made from a traditional Japanese method that produces vegetable glycerin, quality fats and oils. The moisturizing substances involve a purification process that evenly dissolves into the skin.
Come into Natures Source and we will answer any other concerns and advise you on which skin products to use.