For every ailment the most important thing one can do is improve the excretion of toxins. Health can only be maintained or improved by cleaning toxins from the body to support the bodys ability to heal itself.
Skin Health problems that can be attributed to toxins in the body include: acne breakouts; sensitive, allergic skin; premature aging skin; cellulite; inflammation; varicose veins; excess scarring and stretch marks; and edema.
Here are several ways in which you can Detoxify the skin:
- Exercise: When we sweat, heavy metal compounds are eliminated through the skins pores.
- Skin Brushing: This helps remove the outer dead layers of the skin and keep the pores open.
- Good Nutrition:Natural high quality fats and oils (extra-virgin olive oil, fish oil, flaxseed) are needed to keep our skin healthy.
- Sauna and Steam Baths:This is great after dry skin brushing because it pushes toxins out through the skin. Be sure to limit the time spent in saunas because too much heat can dry the skin and accelerate ageing .
- Detoxification Baths:Use only natural oils and natural soaps for daily baths. For detoxification baths use either ½ cup Epsom salts or ½ cup sea salt/dead sea mineral salts and soak for 15-20 minutes. Scrub the skin gently with soap on a natural fibre brush.
You will notice the water turn dirty as heavy metals are excreted from the skin. You may also want to consider a filter for your shower to reduce absorption of toxins.
- Mud Therapy:Clay (rich in trace minerals) applied externally can be used to help draw out toxins. It improves circulation to the skin, has an antibacterial effect and also reduces skin inflammation and swelling.
Jennifer Altamaniuk, RHN, is a holistic nutritionist and certified trainer and has worked as a nutritionist at a gym. She has experience helping people with weight loss and meal planning. To set up a consultation, please contact Jennifer at the Mississauga store.